Tomorrow marks the one anniversary of launching Roll with Jen.
I was just looking back at some of my inaugural posts, which spanned many subject areas: entries about my Paris food adventures with the mack daddy of food bloggers, David Lebovitz, posts about my favorite vendors at the farmers markets, brunch at then fledgling Revel, and local weekend getaways to Lopez Island.
My hope was that a few friends and maybe my mom would occasionally read rollwithjen.com. But thanks to a strong support network of people who not only encouraged me and consistently gave me feedback, they shared my work with their friends and network. Roll with Jen grew and my writing evolved.
Just as publicly-owned companies share their progress with stakeholders and their plans for the future, I want to do the same. I feel a deep connection and responsibility to all of you who have supported me in building Roll with Jen into something more than a hobby.
Here is what’s next:
1) Launching an iPhone app - I launched an iPhone application that I am hoping will serve as a helpful and fun resource when you are looking for a great place to eat. It is free and you can download it here.
2) Weekly columnist for the Seattle Weekly’s Truck Stop - I am having a lot of fun writing a weekly food truck column for Seattle Weekly’s Voracious food blog. It is fun working with other talented and vibrant writers at the Weekly and meeting other small business owners.
3) Shooting a pilot in Japan this summer. Eek. I am most excited about this development. Click here to check the details. The link includes a video equipped with bloopers at the end and everything.
4) Keeping the blog updated with fresh content – I will continue to post on Roll with Jen and am looking to round up more guest bloggers.
If you are not into mushy thank you’s, I recommend skipping this section.
A special thank you to:
- Kristin Costello for encouraging me to start Roll with Jen and for also building my site so I didn’t have a way to back out of following my passion, Anne Hurley for coming by my desk the day after I launched and assuring me this would be more than a hobby, Erin Anderson for continually keeping me on my toes with social media and for getting on my case about not using Twitter, Pesha Nguyen for her artistic skillz, eternal moral support and for nominating me for King 5′s Best Food Blog competition, Nate Jones for creating a beautiful logo and header for me, Jewell Rutledge for early brainstorming, Justin Schoen for giving me tips about search engine optimization during our lunch breaks, Kari Mar for giving me journalism pointers, Katherine Leggett and Kim Kamolz for constant encouragement, Larry Rose for helping me with development efforts when he’s not busy dj’ing his awesome show on KEXP, Chuck Skoda for building me a beautiful iPhone app that 100% meets my requirements, Janet Chang and Changren Yong for your detailed beta testing on my mobile app, Aidi Tamura and Tim Sinnett for commenting on my fb posts when I first started so I didn’t feel like a loser, Suzanne Sheldon for commenting regularly on my blog when I first started so I didn’t feel like a loser, and Mark Williams for putting up with me as I chronically multi-task between eating, conversation and photo taking during our nights out.
I also gotta’ call out my buddies at ZAAZ who have been with me on this year long journey. I feel this halo of energy around me as I embark on the next phase of Roll with Jen.